[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 kernel [2.6.18-92.1.1.el5] crashes on dual-PIII Compaq ProLiant 3000

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jun 27 01:36:04 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Wojtek Pilorz wrote:
>> After yum upgrade, the new CentOS5 kernel [
>> kernel-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.i686 ] crashes each time early in boot
>> process on Compaq ProLiant 3000
>> with dual Pentium3 CPU (600 MHz, CPU0: Intel Pentium III (Katmai)
>> stepping 03, CPU1 the same).
>>
>> I get kernel panic at powernowk8_init+0x05e/0x1c3.
>>
>> The previous kernel [ kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.i686 ] seems to work
>> fine.
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone has met this on PIII CPU ?
>>
>> I have found 99.9% identical problem on
>> http://www.nabble.com/net-5501-and-RHEL5.2-td18024549.html
>>
>> (only esp and task slightly different from what I have seen on screen
>> after crash,
>> all other registers, call trace, code bytes identical to my case) ,
>> but that was on a different CPU.
>>
>> On the other hand, I run CentOS upgraded to 5.2 on a home PC with PIII
>> (single CPU,
>>   Abit motherboard with i440BX chipset) with no problem.
>>
>> Is it normal, that powernowk8_init gets called on PIII CPU?
>>

> We have created a new test kernel that has an upstream patch to fix this
> issue, please test this and see if it fixes your issues:
>
> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/kernel/5/bz443853/

I have heard off list that this kernel does solve the problem with
powernow-k8.

As always though, this kernel will be available to people with the
problem (at the above link), however we won't officially release it as a
replacement until it is in an upstream kernel and released into the tree
by them.

This is even worse because it renders the install media worthless on
these machines, and I am sorry, but upstream needs to initiate things in
  the main tree.