[CentOS] Automatic site selection for dowload

Fri Jun 27 18:06:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:15 PM, tech <tech at laamail.com> wrote:

> I would like to ask that more flexibility be built into automatically
> choosing sites for downloading.
>
> I have just upgraded to CentOS 5.2. When I look for a mirror, I get many
> choices from Taiwan. Since I am in Hong Kong this makes sense geographically
> but ....  not in terms of bandwidth.
>
> Although Taiwan is very close, it is almost the slowest connection I can
> make. Some .jp sites are good but I find .sg or the US is usually best.
>
> This morning I tried to update to the new kernel (92.1.6). My system seemed
> to die during the download. After some investigation, I found that Yum et al
> is being defaulted to .tw sites. (base, updates, add ons all go to .tw.) I
> have now been sitting at base primary.xml.gz for over 15 minutes and am only
> about 50% done.
>
> Is it possible when deciding these default sites to look at actual
> bandwidth and not just geographical closeness?

Mel: I had this problem, before fastest mirror. The nearest server to me,
geographically, probably would not be the fastest for me.
Another example is Sourceforge. They set up downloads from Brazil. I'm in
Colombia. I change that to a server in the USA. Thank you for fastest
mirror! Get fastest mirror fixed and it will work for you! BTW, when I
upgraded 2 Desktops, from 5.1 to 5.2, on our 550k connection, it took just
over an hour to get approximately 489 MB of Packages Downloaded. (DL speed
from the USA was well above 550k, for both downloads). HK is probably
connected directly to the USA, via satellite and/or undersea cable and it
should be fast for you, downloading from the USA.  Lanny