[CentOS] African IP addresses list

Raymond Lillard rlillard at sonic.net
Fri Jun 27 18:58:01 UTC 2008

Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to block all IP addresses from Africa due to a high rate
> of fraudulent orders coming from them.
>
> I have some found some websites that can generate a range of IP
> addresses. However, you would have to enter the ranges by country. I
> can use those perhaps but that would mean I would have to get the
> ranges for each country one by one.
>
> Has anyone here a list of addresses from Africa already? It would
> definitely be a time saver for me. My firewall uses IP blocking by
> CIDR.

Matt,

I've no idea where on planet Earth you are located, but
if you think firewalling any block of addresses is good
policy for your site, that is your prerogative.

I am aware of several small companies whose business
interests are confined to with in a few hours driving
distance from their offices.  Accepting traffic only
from ARIN, blocking all others reduced spam and various
other misbehaviors by more than 50%.

These businesses have computing facilities for the
operation of the business and not for entertainment
of its employees.  Address blocking and clear acceptable
use policies have greatly reduced IT administration
costs for these companies.

Go to IANA for the list of class A address allocations.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

Best,
Ray