[CentOS] Moving logical volumes

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Jun 29 12:55:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 10:33 +0200, Frank Büttner wrote:
> John R Pierce schrieb:
> > assuming this logical volume containss extfs, dump(8) it on one,
> > restore(8) it on the other.   this can be combined with a pipe, like....
> > # dump 0 -f - /dev/volgroup/logvol | (cd /dest; restore -rf - )
> >
> > (this assumes the new logical volume has been created, has a virgin
> > filesystem fresh from mkfs, and is mounted)
>
> This will be possible.
> Exist there no way to do this without moving the data?

I think there is not enough information. Your first post seemed to
indicate a data move. Now it seem to indicate ... merge of 2? Rename of
one? Reassignment of PV to a new group?

I usuallt don't reply when a query shows lack of forethought as to needs
of folks to be able to help. But, it's Sunday.

--
Bill