[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Steve Tindall tindall.satwth at brandxmail.com
Sun Jun 29 18:45:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 19:16 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Unfortunately, the only ECC capable motherboards I can get my
> hands on will be XEON, which is much more expensive than a normal
> desktop type motherboard. And the CPU's will cost more.

Consider using an Asus socket AM2 motherboard, as they support ECC.

A popular choice is the Asus M2N-E with 6 SATA connectors (not to be
confused with the M2N-E SLI), but any of the nforce 500-series Asus
motherboard should work fine with CentOS.

Modest AMD socket AM2 45watt dual cores are relatively cheap.

Steve