[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sun Jun 29 19:55:45 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>> I mainly want to use it as a backup server for hosting servers, so
>> I'll focus on FTP / SSH / SFTP / iSCSI (if possible), and maybe NFS -
>> I don't want SMB (for security reasons). I'll probably also add
>> Webmin to allow users to browse their backups via HTTPS, manage
>> folders, etc.
>
> You might like backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) for a
> backup system that will let individual machine 'owners' browse/restore
> their own backups while using compression and linking all duplicate
> files to use much less disk space than you'd expect. There's some
> tradeoff in speed compared to straight rsync and it needs more CPU,
> but the disk savings and ease of use might be worth it.

Yes, Backuppc is one of the programs we'll suggest :)

But it will also be used for Linux control panels like cPanel, Plesk,
Webmin, etc which use traditional FTP backup (via local LAN only).

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com