[CentOS] HD Failures

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 16:21:14 UTC 2008

Jimmy Bradley wrote:
>       I'm just curious if any one else has noticed this. I've bought
> hard drives from both Walmart and Best Buy. If I can wait, I order them
> from newegg.com. I'm beginning to think that the staff at both Walmart
> and Best Buy, somewhere along the supply line must dribble the drives
> like basket balls. The reason I say that is all the drives I have bought
> from those two places fail within a few months time. Has anyone else
> noticed that? Just curious.

How large is your sample?  If you use enough drives you'll find bad ones
  from every vendor and distributor - and they tend to be bad in
batches.  I'd guess you just hit a bad batch.  Get your warranty
replacements from the vendor - I've had pretty good luck with those even
though they are probably mostly rebuilt units.  Most vendors have some
sort of diagnostic utility that you can run if you suspect a problem.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com