[CentOS] crypto, readline and zlib libraries - Postgres install

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Mon Mar 3 21:09:18 UTC 2008

Karl Jennings wrote:
> I have the 5.x Centos DVD and loaded it.
>
> Please be gentle with me, as I'm nominally a FreeBSD kind of guy... :)
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to install Postgres and the three libraries in the
> subject line are missing off the base installation.  I figured out how
> to load gcc using yum, but those libraries aren't there, and I need
> the former in particular in order to enable SSL for Postgres client
> connections.  A perusal of "yum list" with an appropriate grep or two
> doesn't elicit anything useful.
>
> Anyone know where I find these?  I loaded just the standard distro, no
> graphical user environment (neither Gnome or KDB)
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi Karl

yum works in a similar way to BSD's ports, in that it can automatically
download the needed dependencies. So, running "yum install postgresql"
gives me the following:

Dependencies Resolved

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
 postgresql              x86_64     8.1.11-1.el5_1.1  updates
2.9 M
Installing for dependencies:
 postgresql-libs         x86_64     8.1.11-1.el5_1.1  updates
195 k

Transaction Summary
Install      2 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 3.1 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

This means it will download all the packages (and they respective
dependencies) for you and install it.

Running " yum search postgresql | more" gives me a list of all the
different posgresql scripts (PHP, PERL, devel, etc) that can also be
installed.

HTH

--

Kind Regards