[CentOS] LVM and kickstarts ?

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue Mar 4 16:11:20 UTC 2008

Michael Gale wrote:

> Hey,
>
> 	So I have created another kickstart that I believe
> should be correct
> and it fails the same way with the same problems:
>
> --snip--
> zerombr yes
> clearpart --all --initlabel
> part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100
> part swap --size=1000
> part pv.os --size=8000 --grow --maxsize=8000 --asprimary
> volgroup os_volgroup01 pv.os
> logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=os_root --vgname=os_volgroup01 --size=1024 --grow
> --snip--

How about:

--snip--
zerombr yes
clearpart --all --initlabel
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --asprimary
part swap --size=1000
part pv.os --size=8000
volgroup os_volgroup01 pv.os
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=os_root --vgname=os_volgroup01 --size=1024 --grow
--snip--

I removed the '--grow' and '--maxsize' options from the pv.os partition setup as
you know what the size you want it to be, there is no need for these. I also
moved the --asprimary option to the /boot partition, really only /boot needs to
be --asprimary, and then again you really only need that if you have existing
partitions on disk that are being preserved, which with 'clearpart --all' you
won't have.

I would put swap into the volgroup though as there is no need for a completely
separate swap partition anymore. In fact swap files work just as well these
days as swap partitions or swap logical volumes, but anaconda still needs a
swap partition or logical volume, so create a swap logical volume, then you
can extend it later if necessary or create a swapfile and move over to that.

-Ross