[CentOS] Re: looking for kernel sources

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Mar 4 17:01:11 UTC 2008

on 3-4-2008 2:50 AM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>>> Besides, VMWare & Virtualbox needs it to install properly on the
>>> system, what do you tell them? We won't support you, so your
>>> programs won't work on our system?
>>>

>> VMware and Virtualbox both work fine with kernel-devel installed. You
>> have to have the correct kernel-devel version for your running kernel,
>> though.
>>
>> No need for kernel-sources to run those applications.
>>
>> Ralph

> Thanx, I have already updated to the latest kernel and installed
> kernel-devel, and I'm busy installing gcc. This is on a vanilla install
> of CentOS
> VirtualBox just said it neede the kernel-source...

It said it needed the kernel source, it didn't say it needed the "latest"
source. Congratulations! You just turned your finely crafted Enterprise Linux
into a Frankenstein of mixed components. As was said before, "All the pieces
are your's to keep".

<rant>
One thing about the support that is given on this forum... You have to
actually listen, and follow the advice given.

Yes, sometimes the responses get a little terse, but these are people that are
here giving away something they are more than qualified to charge for, out of
the goodness of their hearts. They also have day jobs, families, stress,
headaches, and whatever else might affect a person and make them a little
short or angry sounding some days. These are human beings here, this isn't
alt.heaven!

Now off of the soap box and back to work... I have a headache!!  ;-P

</rant>

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and