[CentOS] ipw3945 wireless not working

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 16:36:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> This is a new Centos 5.1 install on a HP nc2400 (that use to run XP).
>  Completely clean install; blew away the XP partitions...
>
>  After applying all the updates, and configuring for the rpmforge repo, I
>  used yumex to install dkms and the dkms-ipw3945, ipw3945-firmware, and
>  ipw3945d rpms.
>
>  lsmod|grep ipw    shows:
>
>  ipw3945          180391   1
>  ieeee80211      33417   1   ipw3945
>
>  and dmesg)grep ipw   shows:
>
>  well a bunch of lines about the card including one with the Radio
>  Frequency Kill Swithc is On

Check to see if the physical switch is turned on. As long as the
system thinks the Kill Switch is on it won't show up in Network
Manager. [Having spent an hour debugging this a couple of months ago.]
Basically it comes down to the first question of support: Is it
plugged in? At the moment the computer does not think so.