[CentOS] ipw3945 wireless not working

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Mar 5 20:09:32 UTC 2008

More data....

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> thanks but I have a hunch....
>
> Max Hetrick wrote:
>>
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> Where does NetworkManager keep its information? There was no
>>> /etc/sysconf/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file. I made one (but don't
>>> know
>>> how to get PTK passphrases into the file). No change.
>> I'm not sure mine stores anything anywhere. Every time I connect it asks
>> me for my passphrase information when I attempt to connect.
> Not good if you have a really good passphrase! You can be more secure
> if the passphrase is kept protected on your system and is hard to
> enter, than have one that is 'easy'to remember and enter.
>> When I go home and turn the wireless on, I can search my logs to see if
>> it's storing that anywhere and get back to you.
> What is NetworkManager using for its 802.1X supplicant code?
>
> I think I can see that it cannot be teh wpa_supplicant. It only
> supports the ipw2200, I have figured out. Not the ipw3945. So I will
> uninstall that. The xsupplicant rpm? or something internal?
>

> BTW, I turned on an AP with no security, and connected right to it
> with NetworkManager. This really tends to narrow my problem to WPA
> support.
I yum erased wpa*

this not only removed wpa_supplicant and wpa_supplicant_gui, but also
NetworkManager and its gnome interface. I then

yum install NetworkManager*

This added wpa_supplicant back in.

rebooted.

I can connect to the AP with no security, but not the one with PSK
Passphrase (which needs wpa_supplicant). And the man pages only lists
ipw2200, not ipw3945.

So I am suspecting that there is no wpa support for my card?????