[CentOS] Re: 5.0 -> 5.1

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Mar 5 20:10:57 UTC 2008

on 3-5-2008 11:20 AM Les Mikesell spake the following:

>>>    Nope, I don't run yum.  I do manual updates.  So I've rsynced the
>>> updates to a local drives, and then ran rpm against them.  There's
>>> something about running un-attended updates on a life system.  I've had
>>> too many cases where I come into the office in the morning and the
>>> system is dead because of some update overnight.
>>>

>> Fascinating - I've always had to run yum manually, and I've never seen
>> an overnight update on my system.
>>
>> Are you sure you don't have rogue administrators sneaking in at night
>> and 'yup'ing?
>>
>> (Okay, that wasn't a serious suggestion, but your issue seems kind of
>> strange...)
>>
>> Just my $0.02.
>
> Yes, aside from being able to run yum manually while still letting it do
> all the work, when has anyone seen a Centos system die from an update? I
> know it's theoretically possible and I baby-sit the critical systems too
> (at least the first on each hardware type), but this stuff is pretty
> well tested before being pushed out.

While I haven't seen an entire system go down from an update, I have seen
software stop working due to a perl module update. But to be fair, that also
involved a third-party repo.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and