[CentOS] 5.0 -> 5.1

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 13:49:55 UTC 2008

Martin Marques wrote:

>>> If you've been running yum update, you're already at 5.1. You may just
>>> need to reboot to load the new kernel.
>>>
>>    Nope, I don't run yum.  I do manual updates.  So I've rsynced the
>> updates to a local drives, and then ran rpm against them.  There's
>> something about running un-attended updates on a life system.  I've
>> had too many cases where I come into the office in the morning and the
>> system is dead because of some update overnight.
>>

> Never automate the updates. Do them manually, using yum, and selecting
> the packages you are interested in.

For updates you probably want all the packages.  If someone has gone to
the trouble to backport fixes into these versions and roll out the
updates there are probably very good reasons to apply them.  But, if
machine is really critical it might be a good idea to have a similar
setup for testing first.  Updates normally preserve your running kernel,
so you can boot back to that easily, but the others would be hard to
back out.  Or, just watch this list for a short time after major updates
are available before you apply them yourself.  If anything breaks,
you'll likely see a discussion of the problem here.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com