[CentOS] Getting JRE working in Firefox

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Mar 7 15:28:16 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> I have installed both:
>
> jdk-6u5-linux-i586-rpm.bin
> jre-6u5-linux-i586-rpm.bin
>

> But no Java plugin in Firefox.
>
> I go to:  http://java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.xml
>
> And yes, Java is enabled but still get the dreaded 'download plugin'.
>
> I seem to recall some magic linking needed, but my docs are in Freemind
> that I can't get installed either.....

The secret is in 'alternatives', here is what I do in my kickstart
scripts (mind the wrap):

# Remove Sun added links
rm -f /usr/bin/javaws
rm -f /usr/bin/jcontrol

# Add Sun Java to alternatives
alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/default/bin/java 1000 --slave /usr/lib/jvm/jre jre /usr/java/default --slave /usr/bin/javaws javaws /usr/java/default/bin/javaws --slave /usr/bin/jcontrol jcontrol /usr/java/default/bin/jcontrol --slave /usr/bin/rmiregistry rmiregistry /usr/java/default/bin/rmiregistry

# Set Sun Java as the preferred Java environment
alternatives --set java /usr/java/default/bin/java

This should work even if you upgrade the Sun Java version.

-Ross