[CentOS] Slightly OT: How to learn UNIX

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Mar 7 17:41:20 UTC 2008

Andreas Pedersen wrote:
> I'm also interested into learning more about other system as well, my
> question is what should I take a closer look in Solaris?
> Things like why people choose Solaris over Linux.

we use Solaris and AIX for our large scale database servers.  these
often have 32 or more risc processors, and multiple fiberchannel
interfaces to SAN storage.

our experience is, Solaris and AIX both perform better than linux under
heavy IO workloads, and scales to larger servers than are practical with
Linux.     Some tasks just don't cluster well, a large highly relational
database being one of them.