[CentOS] system-config-display wrongly sets up Viewsonic VG730m monitor

Anne Wilson

cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 7 21:31:52 UTC 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008 12:04:48 Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 February 2008 09:56, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> On Tuesday 19 February 2008 13:02, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> Maybe you are right about the driver not handling the dvi port
> >> correctly. I really didn't want to go down the route of the proprietary
> >> drivers, so maybe I will have to go back to the analogue cable.
> >>
> >> I will try your version this morning and let you know whether it helps.
> >> This is the last ditch.  If it doesn't help, I'll change the cable back
> >> and re-run system-config-display.
> >
> > Comparing your scripts with what I'd actually put into xorg.conf, there
> > were some extra modelins from knoppix, but the only real difference was
> > that I'd put the dri section in.  I thought it unlikely that this affect
> > it, but I've taken it out anyway.  It still is blinking.
>
> If knoppix works perfectly and does not ever blink, then I would say it
> is a problem with the nv Xorg driver in centos-5.  If knoppix also
> sometimes messes up .. still might be a nv driver issue that is common
> to both OSes.
>
> The proprietary nvidia driver might fix that, it also adds much better
> 3D performance if you are using that.

No.  3D doesn't have any attraction for me, so that's not a problem.

> The modeline stuff with the CentOS-5 nv driver might also make it work
> correctly, if we were able to exactly define the 14 modes that I saw the
> monitor supported from your initial sheet.  I have to admit that I am
> not an expert on constructing these modeline settings, but google
> probably can explain exactly how to construct them.  Found this:
>
> http://xtiming.sourceforge.net
>
> But if the analog cable works OK, that might be the easiest option.

Agreed.

> > One last thought.  I did install a wireless mouse and keyboard at the
> > same time as the dvi cable.  I have a feeling that the blinking tends to
> > happen when I move the cursor with the mouse.  Is it possible that there
> > is interference from the mouse?
>
> I have never heard of this happening before, but it would be
> theoretically possible, though not probable IMHO.  If you hook up a
> normal mouse and it goes away ... maybe so, that should be a fairly easy
> test.

I doubt if it is the culprit.  Logic aside, I have watched it carefully while
I was working there this morning, and it blinked occasionally when I was not
touching either keyboard or mouse.  OTOH, it could be a sort of ping to the
transmitter, I suppose, but if it were that I'd expect a regular pattern.

I'll try the old PS/2 keyboard and mouse next time I have a longish session
with the server.  If I get any likely answers I'll let you know.  Thanks for
the help.

Anne