[CentOS] C5 64-bit and software RAID 6?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sat Mar 8 19:43:06 UTC 2008

On Sat, March 8, 2008 19:18, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with 6 SAS disks and a PERC 5/i controller
> what won't do RAID 6.  I plan to have 2 drives as RAID 1 for the OS, and
> the remaining 4 as RAID 6.  Granted the PERC can do RAID 1, I'm tempted
> to do everything via software RAID.  Thus, if anything goes wrong with
> the controller, I just need to obtain a new SAS controller and I'm back
> up.

4 disks in RAID 6? Isn't this a bit overkill? You would use half
the space for RAID checksums.

If it were me, I would:

Partition all drives identically with a 200M partition 1
and the rest as partition 2

Use sda1 and sdb1 in RAID 1 as /boot
Use sd[cdef]1 as swap in RAID 5
Use sd[abcdef]2 as / in RAID 5

You could use RAID 6 for /, but then you're not 100%
safe if you loose disks 1 and 2 simultaneously.

Mogens

--
Mogens, RAID 5 can only handle 1 drive failure. So, if he had 3 drives in
he set & 1 spare, then that 1 spare will be used to rebuild te stripe,

RAID 6 with 4 drives will give the same volume, since all 4 drives are
used, but offers 2 drive failure.

I would suggest rather use RAID 10 (this is 2x RAID 1 stripes, stripped
together as RAID 0), as it will give you better performance and will be
much more reliable

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers