[CentOS] Re:

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Sun Mar 9 03:27:19 UTC 2008

Quoting <>:

> I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with PERC 5/i, and 6 disks.  Two disks
> have one logical volume via a hardware RAID 1 and consist of CentOS 5
> 64-bit; the remaining four comprise a logical volume via a hardware
> RAID 0, and is all user data.
>
> One drive on the RAID 0 went bad.   I removed it while the system was
> on, tried a reboot, and the system hangs at RedHat Linux... Starting
>
> I tried to boot from a Fedora 8 CD, which sees the boot drives fine,
> but not the RAID 0 partitions.
>
> Visiting the PERC controller setup claims the RAID 0 volume is
> unavailable, or something similar, though it is defined, with one of
> the disks labelled as missing, since I removed it from the system.
>
> How do I get the partitions on the RAID 0 setup back?   I have some of
> the data, but need the rest, if possible, and the remaining three disks
> appear physically healthy.   I'm also going to work with Dell for some
> answers, and I've done a lot of googling.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

Good luck. If you used RAID0 and you lost a drive, your data is gone.
There is ZERO redundancy in RAID0. Again, your data is gone.

Replace the drive, partition it again, then use RAID1, 5, or 6 on your
remaining drives to get some kind of redundancy. Then restore what you
can from backups.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au