[CentOS] PE2950, RAID 0, failed disk

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Sun Mar 9 07:02:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 13:53 -0500, Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with PERC 5/i, and 6 disks.  Two disks have
> one logical volume via a hardware RAID 1 and consist of CentOS 5 64-bit;
> the remaining four comprise a logical volume via a hardware RAID 0, and
> is all user data.
>
> One drive on the RAID 0 went bad.   I removed it while the system was on,
> tried a reboot, and the system hangs at RedHat Linux... Starting
>
> I tried to boot from a Fedora 8 CD, which sees the boot drives fine, but
> not the RAID 0 partitions.
>
> Visiting the PERC controller setup claims the RAID 0 volume is
> unavailable, or something similar, though it is defined, with one of the
> disks labelled as missing, since I removed it from the system.
>
> How do I get the partitions on the RAID 0 setup back?   I have some of the
> data, but need the rest, if possible, and the remaining three disks appear
> physically healthy.   I'm also going to work with Dell for some answers,
> and I've done a lot of googling.

RAID 0 doesn't provide redundancy ... i still don't understand why you
installed it with RAID 0 ...
Recreate a new (RAID 5) drive on the raid controller, format it and
restore your last backup ...

--
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>
"Internet network currently down, TCP/IP packets delivered now by