[CentOS] SSH, SCP connections to remote MySQL Database using OpenOffice Possible?

Therese Trudeau

mswotr at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:50:31 UTC 2008

I'm trying to find a way to get remote connections from my Linux Desktop machine to a remote Linux box which is hosting a MySQL database, via SSH port 22, and then once connection is established, log in to the database port 3306 and have either an SSH and or SCP connection established so I can securely do edits and queries.

I am able to connect this way from my Windows machine to remote server using Navicat. Both the windows desktop and the server are set up this way. I just can't figure out how to get my Linux desktop and the remote Linux box to talk this way.

I can connect to the remote database via Linux desktop, it's just via an un encrypted connection through port 3306. For obvious reasons I don't want to do it that way.

I tried connecting to the remote database in the same way I use Konqueror for FTP over SSH, i.e., by connecting via the fish protocol over port 22 -by enterning into OpenOffice Base for the server URL: fish://user@myservername.com:22 and the error that comes up in either OO Base or Calc said I must specify a port number after the : , which I did, and it still won't connect that way.

My question is, is OpenOffice Calc able to connect to remote databases via SSH and or SCP? If so, do I need a plug in for that, or need to configure calc to do that in some way? How would I do this, or which plug in(s) do I need?