[CentOS] SSH, SCP connections to remote MySQL Database using OpenOffice Possible?

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Mon Mar 10 17:27:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:38:34PM -0400, Therese Trudeau enlightened us:

> >> Hehe THANKS Jim I need some too!
> >>
> >> So when I "ssh -L 3307:database.example.net:3306", am I doing this via terminal prior to connecting with Calc (or base),
> >> then start up base and enter in just the regular database.example.net into the "Server URL" field in Clac or base?
> >>
> >> Or do I need to enter "ssh -L 3307:database.example.net:3306" just once in to the "Server URL" FIeld from within OpenOffice Calc or VBase?
> >>

> > You should enter localhost:3307. That connects to the local end of your SSH
> > tunnel.
>
> OK this is what I tried - I opened up terminal on my local desktop machine, and I issued the command:  ssh -L 3307:domain.name.of.DesktopLocalMySQLserver:3306 username at domain.name.of.RemoteServer.
>
> Then I started up OpenOffice Calc, clicked on File>New>Database, and in the area where it asks for the "ServerURL", I entered in:  localhost:3307 and just below it where it asks for the port number I also entered in 3307 (the default is 3306).
>
>  The error I got was "Illegal Connection Port Value 3307:3307: and I could not connect.

I think what you really want is

ssh -L 3307:localhost:3306 remote.db.server

The host in the middle is relative to the end machine. You could also
probably do

ssh -L 3307:remote.db.server:3306 remote.db.server

(for that matter, I don't see why you couldn't do ssh -L 3306:... as long as
you don't have mysql running on your desktop)

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics