[CentOS] KOrganizer problems

Anne Wilson

cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 11 11:21:00 UTC 2008

My file/print/mail server is CentOS.  My laptop is Mandriva 2008.0.  I have
smb shortcuts loaded by fstab to give instant access to my home directory and
a data directory on the server.  All was working well, after some initial
problems with firewall and selinux, until yesterday.

After finding from the logs that someone was trying to get into my imap server
I decided that, although they hadn't succeeded, my personal login was too
weak, and I should harden it.  I changed the password on the server, as user
and as smbuser, then on the laptop.  My fstab mounts work perfectly with the
adjusted auth.servername.anne file, and I can read my mail, but I use a diary
on the server, and I'm having problems there.

The reminder daemon that should start when kde initialises tells me that it
can't access the diary.  It's not clear exactly what is happening to
korganizer within kontact.  I can see the diary, and reloading it doesn't
blank it out, yet I get the message that access is denied.  Attempting to run
a test entry brings the denial message, but the entry shows, even after a
shutdown and reload.  The reminder, however, doesn't happen.

I should also say that since I changed the password on my laptop's kdewallet,
that does not show in the taskbar.  If I enter 'kdewalletmanager' in a
konsole it shows in the taskbar, and indicates that the wallet is open.  I'm
not sure how this is connected with the korganizer problem, but I feel it
must be.

I have looked through every log file I can, and can't see any reason for this.
selinuxtroubleshooter doesn't show me anything relevant.  I'm completely
stuck for where to look next.  All suggestions gratefully received.

Anne