[CentOS] Linux Sound Architecture (Updated)

Ross S. W. Walker

rwalker at medallion.com
Tue Mar 11 15:59:31 UTC 2008

I forgot the most important part in the original, the kernel!

(I hope the ASCII art doesn't get mangled)

I have been working a while trying to get a big picture of how Linux
handles sound processing and after much work I have put together this
little representation of what I have learned.

Please send me any additional comments or components that I may have
missed.

I hope it helps somebody though who may be struggling in getting
sound to work and just needs some idea of how all the parts fit
together.

There really needs to be some concise, up-to-date Wiki on Linux
sound processing and how the different applications work and
work together (or not).

             Linux Sound Architecture
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X            Linux Sound Applications            X
X                                                X
X                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X                        X     Sound Servers     X
X                        X  ESD/Arts/NASD/Pulse  X
X                        X                       X
X              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX             X
X              X Third Party APIs  X             X
X              X    GStreamer      X             X
X              X                   X             X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X                    X   OSS Compatibility API   X
X   ALSA Sound API   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X                                                X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X                 Linux Kernel                   X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X                Sound Hardware                  X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ross S. W. Walker
Information Systems Manager
Medallion Financial, Corp.
437 Madison Avenue