[CentOS] alternatives package?

Eric B.

ebenze at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 11 22:20:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

In my struggle today to get python2.4 installed on my CentOS4 system, I saw
that it installed a packaged called alternatives which is supposed to handle
symbolic links to default commands in a nice clean, structured way.
However, I am having trouble understanding how this thing works.

I have read the man page half a dozen times already, and yet the alternative
link for python which was installed doesn't seem to follow what is written
in the man page.  I am trying to modify the default behaviour for it, but
having a lot of difficulty.

Of course, with a name like "alternatives", it makes searching Google,
tldp.com, etc very difficult.

Does anyone have experience with this package and/or can anyone point me in
the direction of some good examples, documentation for it?  Something a bit
more explanative than the man page.

Thanks!

Eric