[CentOS] Graphical frontend for gphoto2? (Handling photo cameras in XFCE)

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Wed Mar 12 07:31:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm using CentOS 5.1 with the latest XFCE-4.4 desktop. I try to stick as
much as possible to the UNIX tools philosophy, one app per task. For
viewing images, I installed GQView. But right now, I wonder what I could
probably use for handling photo imports from digital cameras. GThumb
tends to be very unmodular, e. g. drawing in many GNOME dependencies,
and besides that, I already have an image browser, so I don't need
another one.

Under Slackware, I've been using GTKam, a simple GTK frontend to
gphoto2, which did the job just fine. But I'm surprised to find it
nowhere, not in RPMForge, not in FreshRPMs. All I can find on the web is
a few stale .spec files on some obscure SVN repos. Well, I can always
try to grab one of these, and see if I can manage to build an RPM from
the "latest" version: 0.1.14, dating from december 2006. Which makes me
wonder whether this piece of software is perfect or abandoned...

Before launching into building GTKam on my own, I'd like to ask: what
graphical frontends for digital cameras can you use *besides* GThumb and
Digikam (that is: if you're using neither GNOME nor KDE)? Is there some
obscure GIMP plugin that I might have overseen?

Cheers,

Niki