[CentOS] 10Gbit ethernet

Jake Grimmett

jog at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 14:31:34 UTC 2008

If I could ask question about 10Gbit ethernet....

We have a 70 node cluster built on Centos 5.1, using NFS to mount user home
areas. At the moment the network is a bottleneck, and it's going to get worse
as we add another 112 CPUs in the form of two blade servers.

To help things breath better, we are considering building three new NFS
servers, and connecting these and the blade servers directly via 10Gbit to a
new core switch, the older nodes will stay with 1Gbit ethernet, but be given
new switches uplinked via 10Gbit to the core switch.

Before I spend a great deal of money, can I ask if anyone here has experience
of 10GBit? Dell, HP, Supermicro, IBM (etc..) seem to be pushing the NetXen
PCIe cards, so I guess these drivers work...? As to media, although CX4 seems
cheaper than optical, I hear the cabling is nasty. And is the magical fairy
going to fix 10Gbit over cat6A anytime soon?

any thoughts appreciated.

Jake