[CentOS] Good version control package?

James Gray james.gray at dot.com.au
Thu Mar 13 21:11:26 UTC 2008

Sean Carolan wrote:
> I have run into a snag with my CVS installation:
>
> [scarolan at neinei:~]$ cvs co -P installfiles
> cvs checkout: Updating installfiles
> cvs [checkout aborted]: out of memory; can not allocate 1022462837 bytes
>
> Unfortunately we have a couple of large binary .tgz files in the
> repository.  I was able to check them in but as you can see I can't
> check them out because of memory limitations.   I have even added 2
> more gigs of swap space but it still errors out.  I noticed while
> watching it that it doesn't seem to use all the swap space.  Any
> pointers?

Subversion has better handling for binaries.  Not sure if it will solve
the problem but it's one of the factors that caused us to switch from
CVS to SVN (among others).

If you do go the SVN route, use the "fsfs" storage - it's much more
robust and recovers better from any corruption than the others available
in SVN (at least that's my experience anyway).

Good luck :)

--
James