[CentOS] evince on centos5.1

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Fri Mar 14 10:21:51 UTC 2008

William L. Maltby a écrit :

>> Is there an alternative?
>  I use Adobe's acroread. Works very well. But don't get the 8.* series -
> it's broken in printer interface and is a little bloated do to a not yet
> really useful voice reader capability.

I'm using CentOS 5.1 for all our desktops in public libraries around
here. People around here handle various PDF's all the time. Most of the
components are lightweight, since we have some older hardware: minimal
cholesterol-free base system, XFCE desktop, ... and applications with a
possibly small footprint.

Acroread sure handles PDF well, and the browser plugin comes in handy
too. On the downside, it's closed source, weighs several dozen MB's and
has the bad habit of "phoning home". So I just decided to do without,
and rely on Evince and maybe xpdf (following a hint of R. Herring on
this list). It's a bit like deciding to feed sanely, without cholesterol
or genetically modified food. In the long run, you're better off.

cheers,

Niki