Re: [CentOS] Recommendations for a “real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Mar 14 13:29:26 UTC 2008

Therese,

You are definitely making your life more difficult then is needed for a desktop machine.

You said you have 4 hard disks. Make a software RAID1 out of the first two. Make a software RAID1 out of the second two and your good to go.

You can use dump/restore to backup the logical volumes on the second
RAID set to an LV on the first.

No need for bare metal restore. Just need to get some working Linux distro to be able to read your files.

Going HW RAID for your desktop is going to get in the way of you getting things going and if your HW RAID card fails then what? Your drives will only work with another identical HW RAID card.

-Ross