[CentOS] MySQL 4.1 on Centos 5 ?

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Fri Mar 14 15:56:54 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008 12:12:45 Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto a écrit :
> > Installing an old mysql into the latest centos is not the best way
> > either. Why not installing the whole database into the new mysql? Unless
> > it's using functions that are not available/compatible with mysql5, it
> > will work OK.
>
> Wrong. I'm running a public library management software that requires
> MySQL 4 and will not run on MySQL 5. The MySQL documentation also states
> that some functions in MySQL 5 are *not* backwards-compatible.

From what I've seen all these years, most of the time php and mysql bundled
applications such as phpnuke, mambo, joomla, etc they all state: use
mysql 'at least' version blabla. So the newer the mysql 'usually' the better.

It's the whole different thing regarding backward compatibility. Of course
it's a pointless bad habit installing a web program that clearly
states 'require at least mysql 5.x.x' into mysql 4.x.x :)

May I know the name of the library management program? KOHA?
http://linux2.arinet.org
22:55:50 up 44 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.