[CentOS] Recommendations for a "real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Therese Trudeau mswotr at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 14 17:02:36 UTC 2008

>> Unfortunately I can't use software RAID1 because of this:
>>
>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-March/096063.html
>
> First, you should probably get your applications from a company that
> doesn't hate its customers... But aside from that, this restriction
> should only apply to the place where you install the app, not where you
> store your own work.  Why don't you ghost-image (or use the free and
> very nice clonezilla-live) your system disk for a quick bare-metal
> restore, and put your own work on a separate raid-mirrored partition?
> And since you seem to be very paranoid about your disks, use some other
> backup mechanism like rsync to another location at some frequent
> intervals too.

Yeah I agree they are difficult to deal with sometimes.  And expensive.

I agree the restriction should only apply to the place where I install the application.
I told them that two years ago and they said that's the way their software is designed, to prevent
installation if RAID 1 is detected, that's what the tech support guy told me anyway.
They want to prevent someone from taking a mirrored drive and giving it to someone else to use
on a different machine.  They told me this two years ago not sure if they have the same policy though -
but my version is about two years old.

I could clone just my data somehow on a seperate drive or backup (not the applications and OS),
yet I also want to clone the entire OS and applications
that's where most of the time goes into as far as restoring a disk or buying a new disk
is concerned.  I'm paranoid because I've had 3 crashes in the past 4 years and it's always a pain
delays my work for days.  SATA drives are made cheap compared to server grade SCSI's.