[CentOS] Re: Recommendations for a "real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 17:45:13 UTC 2008

Scott Silva wrote:

> The software raid implementation in windows is a far cry from the linux
> version. Windows can't boot from their "dynamic" arrays, linux can.

When did that start - or are you just looking at the non-server
versions?  I don't have it around now, but I'm fairly sure I was able to
take a windows 2000 server and have it clone itself to a VMware
appliance setup that first exported an iscsi partition, then after the
software mirroring completed, booted from it.  And unlike linux, the
windows version was able to convert a running non-mirrored partition
into a dynamic disk, and then mirror it.

> And
> the raid in linux is more transparent to the software, as the linux raid
> is just another device as far as the software is concerned. The kernel
> keeps full isolation and control.

I don't remember seeing anything change after the disk conversion in
windows.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com