[CentOS] Recommendations for a "real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 18:51:54 UTC 2008

Therese Trudeau wrote:
>>> Yes, even better. I think VMware sells a version of workstation for OS X
>>> now too.
>> Yes, and I think it will run VM's created under VMware server on linux
>> or windows, although you may not be able to move them the other
>> direction with some of the options you can use on the mac or windows
>> workstation versions.
>
> I just called VMWare and the guy said that for what I wanted to do,
> a bare metal restore solution, that I would be better served by going with
> either hardware or software raid maybe combined with something like
> a tape backup solution, and that their desktop / workstation
> applications are not suited as a complete backup - bare
> metal restore solution.  He said their system was mainly for taking
> system snapshots for development purposes.

I didn't mean to always run under VMware.  What you would want to do is
get your main application(s) working natively for best performance, then
use VMware for whatever else you might need that would otherwise need a
separate machine/OS.  When you switch to Linux or a Mac, you often have
a few Windows programs that you may not use often but you can't
duplicate (the netflix online movie viewer, for example...).  Running
windows under vmware means you don't have to keep a separate box around
for these.  Then backups of the main system will automatically include
these without extra trouble too.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com