[CentOS] Running network services as a non-root user

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 23:06:03 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

>>> the way thats conventionally done is by having a small SUID program
>>> (with the S bit set) which is invoked from the main program and opens
>>> the privileged socket, then hands it back to the unprivileged rest of
>>> the program. I have no idea how you'd do this with java short of using
>>> native code interfaces.
>>>
>>> that seems like a huge and very complex system, running that whole thing
>>> as root would be a nightmare from a security audit perspective.
>>
>> Another approach that may or may not work with Alfresco is to configure
>> the application to use high-numbered ports instead of the standard ones,
>> then use iptables to redirect connections to the standard port numbers
>> to the ones where the application runs.
> ----
> you may recall that in December, I was faced with this very issue but on
> the Fedora List...probably the wrong list since I'm actually using it on
> a CentOS-5 system...
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg01169.html
>
> and I suggest that you may recall because you participated in the
> thread.
>
> I was never able to figure out how to redirect those ports...though I
> would change in a heartbeat if I could figure out how that is done.

I don't see my reply in that thread, but it should need an OUTPUT line
corresponding to each PREROUTING entry.  I have this working on a lot of
machines sending tcp port 80 to a server on 8080, so I know it works
with TCP.  Have you tried a simple case to see if you have the syntax
right?  There may be some quirks for udp or cifs.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com