[CentOS] Un Installing a hard drive in a Centos 5.1 box

Pam Astor pamastor at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 00:16:59 UTC 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 7:57:00 PM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Un Installing a hard drive in a Centos 5.1 box

Pam Astor wrote:
> [root at localhost ~]# df -h
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                       901G  6.7G  848G   1% /
> /dev/sda1              99M   18M   76M  20% /boot
> tmpfs                 1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm

yup, its all 1 Volume, you are going to need to shrink the lv's - then
get your volgroup onto /dev/sda only. info on howto do that is in the
lvm howto. also, I'd recommend you download the centos-5.1/livecd and
actually do the work once booted from the livecd. shinking filesystems
requires you to have the filesystem unmounted, so doing it from the
livecd is the only way you are going to manage it here.

Dang, I was afraid you were going to say that :)  Oh well, guess I'm going to
have fun the next day or two learning about linux file systems.

Thanks much!