[CentOS] rpm build machines

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Tue Mar 18 22:48:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008, Johnny Tan wrote:
>How similar should my rpm build machine be to my target
>deploy machines? Like, do you have to build on a multi-core
>machine if you plan to run on a multi-core machine? Or as
>long as the arch is the same, nothing else matters?

IHMO, it's always best to build on identical machines.

In theory they should work, but I have had problems when building
packages where 32-bit AMD and 32-bit Intel systems had some
incompatibilties that resulted in illegal instruction traps.

One package I know gave me this was gmp, GNU Arbitrary Precision
Arithmetic Library, required by clamav.

Pretty much everything we build, we do with the OpenPKG portable
package management system where the basic philosophy is to make
it easy to build on the target machines thus avoiding this type
of problem.

Bill

If the future navigation system [for interactive networked services on
the NII] looks like something from Microsoft, it will never work.
(Chairman of Walt Disney Television & Telecommunications)