[CentOS] remote command execution

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 16:54:40 UTC 2008

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> Can you give an actual example of something that fails?
>>
>> --
>
> Les, it's not that it fails it is just that plink sends the command and waits for it to complete execution. Even if the shell script uses your nohup syntax, if I put in a long dd as a test command then have plink execute the script, it will actually wait for it to complete and even show dd's output! Sending the command to at worked perfectly!

That means you left one or all of the remote shell's stdin/out/error
connected (not surprising, since the example earlier only redirected a
subshell) and the ssh connection is waiting for them to close.  Try
running the nohup as part of the actual command line - and you may need
to add an </dev/null - or do an
exec </dev/null >output_file 2>error_file
and exit.  Check the man page for 'nohup'.  It will redirect sdtout and
error if you don't, but I've forgotten if it does anything with stdin.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com