[CentOS] Un Installing a hard drive in a Centos 5.1 box

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Mar 20 23:35:08 UTC 2008

Pam Astor wrote:
> OK when you say livecd, do you mean the Centos 5.1 distro
> disks? I have a full set of them, a 7 disk set I got from Linux Central.
> Can I just boot off disk 1 from my set?

LiveCD as in the livecd:

eg :
http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.1/isos/i386/CentOS-5.1-i386-LiveCD.iso

> ...or, if I left the install the way it is now, are there any dis advantages of leaving the file
> system the way it is - spread over two hard drives?

nope, just that if you loose one drive, you loose everything (
potentially ) on the entire filesystem

> Should just get another hard drive and back it up the way it is?
> Would ther be any problems with my backup if left the way it is?

Both those should be fine

> Or ahould I just do a complete re install of the OS after backing up my data...
>
> What do you reccomend -leave it as is, re configure it, or re install it?

I'd recommend you spend the time in learning about lvm and resize the
filesystem down to one drive, LVM does take about 2 - 3 hours to work
out, but once you do work it out - its fantastic and something that
makes Linux really worthwhile :D

but that is my personal opinion, you should still do whatever you feel
like - it is, after all, a free world :D