[CentOS] Samba Fstab and Automount

John jses27 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 16:28:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 08:45 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> John wrote:

> >> Is the wiki howto you are referring to is this?
> >>
> >> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares
> >>

> > Correct

> >> Did you really read the above wiki and follow the instructions
> >> precisely as they are written?  For example, the error you mentioned
> >> here is touched upon in the wiki:
> >>
> >> "[Note: Upon automounting, you may see an error mount_cifs.so: cannot
> >> open shared object file in /var/log/messages. This is harmless and can
> >> be safely ignored.]"
> >>

> > Yes I read about it, (the error). Any other pointers you can give on it?
> > Auto mount that is. I searched various How Tos on the net and every
> > config I use will not work. Also server and client can be accesed by
> > physical name and ip address.
> >
> > One other thought; would Samba Server producing a "Err can't stat
> > directory as a file" have anything to do with it.
> >
> > Server Version is: samba-3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4 on Server
> > Client Version is:  samba-client-3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2 on Client
> > Client Autofs is:  autofs-5.0.1-0.rc2.55.el5.3 on Client
> >

> why are you using Samba, an implementation of the Microsoft Windows
> native file sharing, on a Unix to Unix connection, instead of the Unix
> native NFS ?

Because it can be used as the Poor Mans DFS (distribute file system
system) direct from the Samba How To Guide and Provide High Clustering
Style Availability with out the need for piling on Hearbeat and GFS on
top. Allso Scales easy over 1500 Users. And when the said client can't
get updates to there Active Directory Domain Controler then Samba is
there to pick up the job as DC. Yes, I am aware of bind and ldap also.

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079