[CentOS] Re: Two Internet connections...

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Mar 26 19:55:38 UTC 2008

on 3-26-2008 12:27 PM Frank Cox spake the following:
> I do some occasional tech work for a cable TV/Internet service provider.  They
> have now offered me free services, including cable Internet.  I currently have a
> DSL service through the telephone company and, for several reasons including the
> fact that it is really unlimited service with no cap and it comes with newsgroup
> access (neither of which the cable service has), I'm not really prepared to
> give that up.
>
> However, since I can get a free cable Internet service too I would like to be
> able to put that to use.
>
> Does anyone have any good ideas for what to do with an extra cable Internet
> service?  Is there, say, a way to somehow "shotgun" two Internet services like
> you used to be able to do with dial-up modems to increase your transmission
> speed?

Bonding will only work if the connections terminate at the same place on BOTH
ends. Since you are basically using 2 ISP's, that won't work.
If you can find a load balancing router someplace, it can send different
connections out different ports and keep track of what goes where. But the
cost won't be cheap, and I don't know of any consumer level routers that do
this. You might be able to get it working with Vyatta and a dedicated computer
with multiple ethernet ports.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and