[CentOS] new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Mar 26 20:31:16 UTC 2008

Ray Leventhal wrote on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:11:26 -0400:

> Any idea why I can't seem to browse in anything other than 'share' mode?
> The user mode keeps popping up an authentication box for which there
> seems not to be a correct answer...meaning I re-auth, but I keep getting
> the box, with <MACHINE>/ prepended to my username.

If I understand correctly you want to connect from a Windows box to an smb
share on a CentOS machine? Did you already try to verify that everything is
correctly setup on the server-side? The basic incantation for mounting an
smb share is:
mount -t cifs -o username=$username,password=$password,rw $share $mountdir

where $share is the complete UNC path to the server:
//machinename/sharename

I think this should also work if you target machine is the same as the
source machine, but if you have another Linux machine it might be better to
try it from there.

As for the Windows side: did you check that access to authenticated shares
works between the Windows machines in general? One thing to keep in mind
with Windows XP sharing and user authentication is that Windows XP uses
so-called "simple filesharing" by default. If you want to have user
authentication for the samba shares you have to disable that "simple"
filesharing (folder options, view, advanced, last option there!).

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany