[CentOS] Two Internet connections...

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Wed Mar 26 20:48:33 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008, Frank Cox wrote:
> I do some occasional tech work for a cable TV/Internet service provider.
> They have now offered me free services, including cable Internet.  I
> currently have a DSL service through the telephone company and, for several
> reasons including the fact that it is really unlimited service with no cap
> and it comes with newsgroup access (neither of which the cable service
> has), I'm not really prepared to give that up.
>
> However, since I can get a free cable Internet service too I would like to
> be able to put that to use.
>
> Does anyone have any good ideas for what to do with an extra cable Internet
> service?  Is there, say, a way to somehow "shotgun" two Internet services
> like you used to be able to do with dial-up modems to increase your
> transmission speed?

Getting better answers when posting on two lists? ;)

Anyway - I have a similar setup - Fios and cable modem. I use a Xincom router.
They are reasonably priced (starting at around $150) and offer two wan
uplinks. This way all workstations and servers on my lan side have a single
default route and the xincom router distributes the load nicely. It does the
normal things like nat, port forwarding, ... you're used to from other home
routers. Also allows you to bind certain traffic to a specific side, i.e. all
my ftp traffic is going over the cable modem side. If one wan link isn't
available, the other link carries the full load. It won't speed up a single
process but if you have that much bandwidth, you will anyway end up running a
lot of things in parallel.

Peter.