[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Dennis McLeod dmcleod at foranyauto.com
Thu Mar 27 15:38:15 UTC 2008

So are you saying that one should disable simple file sharing in Windows?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other
technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting
stugg

Yes, This is called force guest.
It maps any connections to the machine to the guest account.
It turns off the admin shares on the XP machine, too (admin$, c$).
If you are trying to use any central management tools, (For Kaspersky, in my
case), they don't work.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpsimsh.html

If you join an XP machine to a Windows domain, it gets turned off as part of
the process.
Not sure about a Samba domain, because I had done it before I joined any
machines (but I would think so....)

Here's the registry key, if you want to add it to a script....:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"forceguest"=dword:00000000

Dennis