[CentOS] IMAP security

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Fri Mar 28 16:12:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
>I have port 143 open so that I can get my mail when away from home.
>Occasionally, though, my router reports things like

You should be using secure IMAP on port 933, not port 143 where
everything is sent in clear text.  I don't know about other IMAP
servers, but courier-imap handles this by default.

Most current e-mail clients allow one to set this up easily,
either directly or using TLS to request a secure connection on an
initial connection to port 143.

This doesn't keep people from trying dictionary attacks via
imaps, but it does prevent them from sniffing the connections.
Of course you are using good passwords n'est pas?

Bill

Intellectually, teachers fall between education theorists and bright
cocker spaniels. (Probably closer to the education theorists. The AKC has
been doing wonders with spaniels.) If you think I'm kidding look at the
GREs for education majors, whose scores are the lowest of all fields, and
remember that these are the smart ones. -- http://www.FredOnEverything.net