[CentOS] the "official" lightweight desktop environment for CentOS?

Florin Andrei

florin at andrei.myip.org
Sat Mar 29 08:24:09 UTC 2008

I want to build a dedicated MythTV box using CentOS5. I need a
lightweight desktop environment, something extremely simple that does
not use much memory. Gnome and KDE use way too much memory and are too
complex for what I want to do.
The system will login automatically to a certain account after booting
up. After the automatic login, it will start immediately the MythTV
frontend full-screen. If the frontend dies, the desktop needs to logout
/ log back in automatically. No other application will run on this
machine, only mythfrontend. There will only be one account. Think of it
as a single-purpose appliance, not a regular computer.
Whatever I use as the desktop environment, it needs to be pretty
standard - either included in the distribution proper, or in one of the
major repositories. It must be very trivial to enable, with no hacking
required to the OS. It must play well with mythfrontend, I don't need
any compatibility issues. It must be a stable, reputable software.

Which desktop environment would you recommend based on the requirements?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/