[CentOS] sofware caused connection abort

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sat Mar 29 10:11:08 UTC 2008

Gergely Buday wrote:
> On 29/03/2008, Morten Nilsen <morten at runsafe.no> wrote:
>
>>  > some of my users use putty to connect to my server via ssh protocol.
>>  > After some time they get the above error message, and it could be that
>>  > my CentOS-side configuration caused this. Do anybody has experience
>>  > with this problem?
>>
>> I have seen similar problems if ICMP is blocked..
>>  On my LAN, putty sessions live forever.
>>

> They connect via the internet, could it make a difference? And, how
> can I check if ICMP is blocked?
>
> Now I have made a test from Unix machines using ssh (the program), I
> did not experience the same problem so it might be with putty and/or
> with company firewall/user's ISP.
>
> - Gergely

Yes it makes a difference, since the internet is less reliable than a
local LAN. in /etc/ssh/sshd_conf enable TCP_KEEVALIVE (or something like
that), and in Putty > Connection > tick Enable TCP_keetalives

This will help quite a bit, but still can't compensate for packet loss
on the internet, for example your ISP, or one of the many routers (do
tracepath from the one machine to the other to see how many there are)
could have intermittent problems. I know ADSL isn't a guaranteed service
in our country, so some days my SSH sessions will stay open for days at
end (even with the quick ADSL reset), but other times it resets often

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com