[CentOS] Boot disk changes from /dev/sda during install to /dev/sdb on first boot

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at ActiveNetwerx.com
Thu May 1 05:51:26 UTC 2008

>It's been suggested (in the Dell Linux mailing list) that it is
>related to the virtual CD device of the DRAC.

As far as I know, it is. I recall something about it emulating a
usb drive so it could be hot plugged with a new "disc" if you will.

>But why would it change after install? Is it perhaps a difference in drivers that are
>available in the installer vs. the live kernel?

How did you install out of curiosity?

>How can I find out what /dev/sda is? Any way to force the drive order
>from the CentOS side? No relevant options that I have found in BIOS or
>RAID setup.

What info do you get when you cat some of the /sys/block/sd{a b}/ files after its booted?

jlc