[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Alan Bartlett ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com
Thu May 1 12:45:38 UTC 2008

On 30/04/2008, Lanny Marcus <lannyma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alan: Today, I removed the Teac DV-516D DVD/CD reader, manufactured
> October 2004, in Japan, from my daughters box. I temporarily hooked it
> up in my box. The exact same problem! I could not see the contents of a
> DVD-R, but, I was able to see the contents of my Knoppix Live CD,
> without any problem. So, I did not bother with the PITA of removing the
> DVD/CD reader from my box, and trying that one in my daughters box.
>
> I booted my daughters box with my Knoppix Live CD V. 5.1.1 and it also
> showed the FC6 Install DVD to be blank.
>
> I suspect:
>
> (a) The Teac DV-516D DVD/CD reader is not supported in this kernel or
> somewhere else in CentOS 5.    or
>
> (b) The DVD/CD reader is somewhat faulty.
>
> (c) However, Windows XP shows it to be "OK" and I can see the contents
> of the FC6 install DVD OK, in Windoze. Also, I can boot from the CentOS5
> and FC6 Install DVD's, without any problem. And, I was able to mount the
> FC6 Install DVD, in a terminal and install the RPM I wanted to install,
> without any problems. Thank you, very much, for your time and ideas!

Lanny - Thanks for the update. I would recommend, therefore, that you
replace the CD/DVD-ROM with a modern DVD writer that can cope with
CD-RW/DVD-RW/DVD+RW, etc, formats. When I refurbished this workstation, a
Dell OptiPlex GX1 (manufactured last quarter 1999 :-D ), I replaced its
original CD-ROM drive with a multi-format AOpen DVD/CD rewritable optical
drive, model no. DUW1616L and have had absolutely no problem with it at all.
I seem to recall it cost me UK£41-00. However once you've done the
conversion at the current exchange rate, I don't know if you will think that
is good value - or not.

As for all mentions of Windoze, I would trust/believe that about as far as I
could spit into a high wind!

Alan.