[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

John jses27 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 15:20:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 15:43 +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> On 01/05/2008, John <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Something I don't think no one has thought of:
>
>         [root at ethan ~]# rpm -qa | grep auto
>         automake15-1.5-16
>         autoconf-2.59-12
>         automake17-1.7.9-7
>         automake-1.9.6-2.1
>         automake16-1.6.3-8
>         automake14-1.4p6-13
>         autofs-5.0.1-0.rc2.55.el5.3
>
>         Make sure you autofs installed: autofs-5.0.1-0.rc2.55.el5.3
>
> I don't think that's it. This is from my system, which behaves as
> Lanny wants:
>
> $ rpm -qa auto\* | sort
> autoconf-2.59-12
> automake14-1.4p6-13
> automake15-1.5-16
> automake16-1.6.3-8
> automake17-1.7.9-7
> automake-1.9.6-2.1
> $
>
> No autofs!
>
> Alan.

Puzziling, maybe just get a new dvd drive.

Would be interesting to know if when he accesses Win$ (Double Clicks
MyComputer) if the system crashes or when he double clicks on the dvd
drive in mycomputer would be a big indicator of the drive being bad or
if it takes a long time to access the drive. All the icons on the
desktop will dissapear when it crashes.

Another thing Right Click on My Computer Select Manage and look at the
logs for the dvd drive in question. You should see errors there if it's
bad. Also like someone else said it will only auto mount on a user
account and not root.

If it's not any of the above get a new drive.
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079